S.B. in Computer Science and Engineering, Massachusetts Institute
of Technology, 1985.
- 28 years full-time experience as a degreed software engineer.
- 33 years direct, productive work with customers and end users.
- Effective solutions delivered on many platforms using many
languages and tools.
C/C++ design and programming, Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL, Macintosh application development, database design and implementation.
(A few things I’ve left behind in order to focus on those I enjoy most: Windows database application development, Visual BASIC DLL development, cross-platform database engine development, full-text indexing and searching, 4th Dimension programming and extensions development, Sybase SQL Server, Microsoft SQL Server, Java, C#, .NET.)
Elevated Software Development, Inc.
- Hired and managed small team of student developers working on a sophisticated document management product.
- Continued evolution of the “Macintosh multi-user application for patient scheduling, and management of medical transcriptions and patient records”—migrated from older technologies to Cocoa/Objective-C++ client, PostgreSQL backend, and custom high-performance workflow-oriented middleware. Wrote scanner drivers and front-end software for bulk scanning of medical charts. (The document management portion of this all-Mac system now manages a few million files comprising a few terabytes.) Updated the full-text index & search with more capable version by integrating Lucene at the server. Automated document trasfer with other hospital systems via file transfer & HL7; sophisticated Microsoft Word integration; automated faxing.
- Continued evolution of fScanX scanning utility (Macintosh support for Fujitsu document scanners)—support for scanners at 250+ full-color images/minute, Automator action, refined image processing, 64-bit migration, and numerous features.
- Hired and managed small team of student developers to deliver 2 Ruby on Rails applications and new features in fScanX.
Consulting Software Engineer
Implemented software including custom and commercial, full
applications and libraries:
- Macintosh Classic OS client in C++, to a Java 2 server via a bridge I designed to provide "natural" access to Java objects and methods from C++ via JNI.
- Simple Macintosh bi-plane cineangiogram viewer.
- Cross-platform core web server and application server libraries for
web-enabling database applications.
- Cross-platform utilities for monitoring thousands of web pages and
FTP directories for new and modified files.
- Windows client/server application to manage granting of CME
- Customized Macintosh-based WWW server to provide radio paging
via the Internet.
- 16-bit Windows DLL database engine with full-text search for
- Macintosh application to manage reviews of medical literature,
with full-text search.
- Macintosh multi-user application to automate the collection of
reviews of medical literature and their processing into print and
- Macintosh applications for sales planning and forecasting for
the national accounts team of a Fortune 500 company.
- Macintosh multi-user application for patient scheduling, and
management of medical transcriptions and patient records.
- Macintosh multi-user application to support purchase,
inventory and sale of reclaimed metals.
- Macintosh multi-user purchasing application for a university
- Macintosh grammar reference desk accessory for a publisher of
- Macintosh application to support personalized mass mailing for
- Macintosh application to track experience of ophthalmology
residents and produce accreditation reports.
- Macintosh multi-user application for patient tracking in a
small emergency room.
- Several developer tools for 4th Dimension, both Macintosh and
Senior Application Engineer
One of a team of 3 senior software developers working on an innovative product in the medical informatics market. Our product's quality and functionality seriously beat competitors with orders of magnitude more staff and funding, but in the end market and management problems prevailed. I had the standard list of responsibilities: fixing old code, designing and implementing new modules, working to develop technology strategy for the future.
National Bank of Commerce
Analyzed data processing needs; evaluated available software;
designed, budgeted and installed a small network connecting PCs,
remote printers, and mainframes; developed software including:
multi-threaded spool redirector to provide remote printing services
under OS/2; Macintosh application to track activity of asset-based
credit lines; HyperCard XFCN to implement complete Regulation Z APR
Marketing Software Specialist
Rise Technology, Inc.
In high-tech startup company creating integrated
imaging/publishing systems, worked closely with customer service,
sales, engineers, prospects and customers. Software projects focused
on communications, networking, data translation, and a small amount
of image processing.
Freelance Programmer &
Retail Sales and Support
Retail sales, customer support and training, technical
problem solving. Developed applications for: production of physical
therapy schedules; tracking of pacemaker recipients and income from
heart-lab services; sales tracking for a beverage distributor;
tracking and prediction of gasoline sales and purchases; graphic aid
for the design of precision-fabricated sheet-metal products; data
conversion and communication.